|Principles of Vaastu:
Vaastu has two distinct parts
1) Vaastu of plot.
2) Vaastu of buildings.
Both are equally important. Some people do not
give importance to the Vaastu of plot which is not
correct. Hence before we select a plot we should see
Vaastu of the plot, since Kshetra (Land) is equally
important as Beeja (seed) is for good crop.
1) Vaastu of Plot
We should examine the levels, angels, its size and
shape etc. and see whether it satisfies the Vaastu
principles, if not the plotshould be modified by
additions and alterations.
a) For Houses
1. It should be close to a square to be an ideal
2. A rectangle is good, Breadth and Length ratio
should not be more than 1:2
3. A triangular shape is not good.
4. Round shape and all other odd shapes are also
5. If the plot is not as per Vaastu it should be
6. If it cannot be corrected, it should be
b) For Industrial houses and
business concerns :
While the principles of Vaastu are same, the size
and shape of the plots may differ as per the type of
business or industry's requirement.
However, for Industries & multi-storeyed
flats,Vaastu principles are enumerated in seperate
c) Angles of the plot
1. Ideally all angles should be 90 degrees.
2. The South West angle should be 90 degree. This
is very important.
3. North West angle should be close to 90 degree or
little more. It should not be less than 90 degree.
4. South East angle should be close to 90 or little
more but not less than 90 degrees.
5. North East angle should be close to 90 or less
but never in excess of 90 degrees.
d) Location and Direction of
The Location of the plot is very important but its
significance in terms of its directions as to which
side the plot is facing, should not become a hurdle in
acquiring a plot. The East and North facing sites are
to be preferred to those facing West and South.
Special care has to be taken for west and south facing
plots while designing the house or work place.
e) Plots having two or more
1. Ideally the plot should have roads on all four
2. It is good to have more than one road.
3. North and East roads are the best.
4. South and West roads are good for business
5. North and West roads are also good.
6. South and East roads are good for women and
organizations for women.
LEVELS OF THE PLOT:
Levels inside the plot.
1. The ground level should be high in the South and
2. The ground level in the North and East should be
lowest in the plot.
3. Levels in the South-East and North-West should
be more or less equal.
4. South-East and North-West level should be higher
than the North-East, but lower than the South-West
5. North levels should be lower than South.
6. East levels should be lower than West.
Levels outside the plot.
1. East and North levels of the adjoining plot or
road should be low.
2. Towards South and West of the plot hillocks or
mounds are good.
3. Ponds, Tanks or Rivers in North or East or
North-East of the plotyield, good results.
4. A high building built towards South or West or
South-West, of our plot is good for our prosperity.
5. Any pond or tank or well or valley or ditches
etc. , towards South-West, outside the plot will bring
before the construction of the house is
taken up, an open well or a bore well has to be dug in
1. East side well means it should be in the first
half towards east.
2. Similarly, North side well means it should be
in the first half towards East.
3. A well in the West or South or South-West is
4. A well in the North-West or South-East is also
5. A well opposite to the gate or main door or
opposite to doors opening outside, is not advisible.
6. A well in the center of the building is also
1. The cellar should be in North or East or
North-East portion of the ground floor.
2. The cellar constructed in south or west or
south-west direction will cause problems to inmates.
3. North-East portion of cellar should be kept
open as far as possible.
4. South-West portion could be used for storage
5. North-West or South-East portions of Cellar
could be used for car parking or as servant quarters
2) Vaastu of buildings
whether it is a residential house or office ,
industrial house , business concern, theatre,
temple,choultry,hotel should be built according to
VAASTU. The main points to be kept in mind are:
1. The building should be built leaving open space
on all sites.
2. More open space should be left in North side of
the plot and less space in the south.
3. Similarly more open space should be left in the
East than West side of the plot.
4. The building height should be more on the
South and West.
5. The height or level of the building should be
less in North and East
6. On a multi storeyed building, terrace should be
left towards north or east, not towards south or west.
7. Balconies should be towards East or North.
8. More window openings should be towards East and
9. Less window openings should be towards West and
10. Thicker walls should be built on West and South
11. Thinner walls should be built on East and North
12. Doors and openings should be more towards North
and East side.
13. Doors should be less in number towards West or
14. The compound walls of South andWest should be
thicker and more in height than those of North &
15. Gate should be on the North East direction,
depending upon the road whether it is North or East.
16. For south road facing house, the gate should be
in south or south-east and not on the south-west.
17. For a West road facing house, the gate should be
in the West or North-West and not in South-West.
18. The South-West room should be the master
19. South-East room should be kitchen.
20. North-East room should be pooja room.
21. Bathroom normally preferred in East, where it is
not convenient, South East or North-West may be
22. The number of doors or windows should be even
and not odd.
23. Verandahs should be design in East or North.
24. The level of Verandah roof should be less than
the normal roof level.
25. No Verandahs should be built in the West or
26. Portico should be design in the North-East, or
East or north.
27. Roof level of the portico should be equal o9r
less than the verandah.
28. Stair case should be to South-West because of
its height and weight.
29. Overhead tank should be either in South or West.
There is a difference of opinion to have it on
South-West; more weight is acceptable on
South-West but water in South-West is not advisable.
30. Out-Houses can be built in South-East or
North-West but they should not touch North and East
and the height of the rooms should be less
than the main house.
31. Car garages also should be along with out house
on the same principle but portico should be in the
32. Septic tanks in North-West or South-East are
33. Water pumps in the North-East that too below the
ground level only. Water tank above the ground
level in the North-East is not correct.