FORT St. GEORGE, Chennai

Fort St. George was among the first few basitons built by the East India Company to protect its interests in India. This fortification also marks the making of Madras (Chennai) as a modern city. Presently the legislative assembly and the secretariat,St. Fort George was built somewhere around 1635 by the British East India Company. This fortification was done to protect any possible attack from the rival companies in those days. Since then the fort has undergone lot of change and modifications. Fort St. George was among the first few basitons built by the East India Company to protect its interests in India. This fortification also marks the making of Madras (Chennai) as a modern city. Presently the legislative assembly and the secretariat, St. Fort George was built somewhere around 1635 by the

British East India Company. This fortification was done to protect any possible attack from the rival companies in those days. Since then the fort has undergone lot of change and modifications. The fort has a museum which displays many items from the British raj and memorabilia of the East India company. The relic of British era preserved in museum has been a reminder of a period of oppression and struggle. The museum also has a good collection of some fine contemporary paintings. Within the fort premises is the oldest surviving British church in India, St. Mary's Church.

This Church is also the first English church in Madras. St. Mary's was the venue for the marriage of Lord Clive. The church was built in 1678. Towards the North of the fort is the High Court compound which is build in Indo Sarcenic architectural style. Within this compound stands the Lighthouse erected in 1844, which was superceded by another one in 1971. The later one is not so impressive as the first one.