JAI VILAS PALACE, Gwalior
Built in 1809, this palace is located in the new city of
Gwalior. It the house of the present Maharaja of Gwalior.
This palace was designed by Lt. Col. Sir Michael Filose.
35 of the rooms have been converted into the Scindia
Museum and the rest of the rooms reflect the spender and
glory that comes alive in the Italianate structures. The
Tuscan and Corinthian architectural modes are combined
in Jai Vilas. The Darbar hall of the Palace is an
imposing structure. Covered with heavy draperies and
tapestries, fine Persian carpets and furniture from
Italy and France occupy these spacious rooms. The darbar
hall ceiling has two incredibly massive chandliers
weighing in tonnes. The treasure of the palace includes
a silver train that has cut glass wagons carrying wine
and cigars after dinner, a glass cradle used for Lord
Krishna on every Janamashtami, swords once worn by
Aurangzeb and Shah Jehan. Apart from these there are
personal gifts and momentoes of Scindia Family which
Jewelled slippers of Chinkoo Rani, hunting trophies and
portraits, also small room having collection of erotica.
Jai Vilas is an excellent glimpse into the rich culture
and lifestyle of princely India.