Charminar, Hyderabad

Surrounded by narrow lanes the Charminar, was built by Muhammed Quli Qutub Shah, in honour of his wife, Bhagmati. The famous monument derives its name from the four pillars surrounding the structure.
Hyderabad has seen many ups and downs. It was in 1591 that Charminar, one of the most remarkable monuments of Hyderabad was constructed. The height of these minars are 180 feet. This structure was built to commemorate end of Plague in the state. Elegant balconies, stucco decorations and the small mosque adorn this structure.
This is one of the oldest mosques in Hyderabad. From the minars, there is a panoramic view of the city. An underground path is believed to connect Charminar with the Golconda fort. Charminar is surrounded by markets and many other structures which adds to its grace. Shahali Banda, Laad Bazar, Kali Kaman and Patthar Gatti flank Charminar on its four sides. The structure here show mixed Indian and Mughal architectural styles.